Thursday, June 2, 2011

Overwhelmed

We've had a very wet and cool spring, and everything except weeds is a little behind in the garden this year. Including, most of all, me.

I'm happy to be participating in the SeedGROW project again this year with seeds donated by Renee's Garden (last year, when we grew nasturtiums).

This year, we're growing marigolds, basil, and lettuce, all varieties that can be grown in containers.

Here's marigold 'Summer Splash' which I started indoors, on a heat mat, about a week ago (non-labeled seedlings are the marigolds). I've been winter sowing the last seven years, so it was a little freaky going back to indoor sowing. However, I had a tomato disaster and was already re-growing them indoors on a heat mat, so the more the merrier, I figured. it's warm enough now that I could have direct-sowed them in my southeastern Michigan garden, but I'm not yet sure where I want them to go, so I wanted to grow them in cell packs for easy transplanting later.

Eventually, the marigolds will look like this (photo courtesy of Renee's Garden).

I direct-sowed basil 'Italian Cameo' into a square plastic container and lettuce 'Garden Babies Butterhead' into a rectangular plastic container. (I use the same rectangular container to grow cat grass indoors over the winter, and just harvested winter-sown 'Icicle' radishes from it). Neither the basil nor lettuce has sprouted yet, but I only sowed it two hours ago! ;-) (And, yes, those are old dresser drawers on either side of the basil, growing other kinds of lettuce and spinach.)

Eventually, the lettuce will look like this (photo courtesy of Renee's Garden).

Eventually, the basil will look like this (photo courtesy of Renee's Garden).

I'm growing with the SeedGROW project. Thanks to Reenes Garden for the seeds.

 

19 comments:

  1. Grow little seedlings, grow! :-) I still can't believe this is your first time growing basil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica the weather started out so crazy I have gotten totally lost!...

    Because of Mother Nature's late start I didn't get started at all.

    This year I will have to do with just a few splashes of color here and there in my garden.

    Good look with your garden plans I'll check back to see how things are going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you imagine though if your basil could grow that fast? Wow they would have something there! I need to get the lettuce going but right now our heat is in the mid to upper 90's which isn't good for lettuce. Hopeful cooler temps will be coming. Can't wait to see the seedlings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Believe it or not, two little nasturtium plants began growing this Spring... cannot believe the seeds overwintered!! Have fun with this new project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited to be growing all these seeds! I cant wait to see how everyones containers turn out. Should be super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, Monica, I'm at the same point. I sowed my seeds last Saturday, but last night after I wrote my blog post, I went out and checked. Tiny little cotyledon leaves were popping out on one of my containers! Never gets old.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hallo Monica
    Ich hoffe, dass Deine Sämlinge so gross und kräftig werden wie jene aus Renees Garden. Es sieht auf alle Fälle schon sehr viel versprechend aus. Ich habe es in diesem Jahr mit Katzenminze, Fingerhut, Spinnenblume und Schopflavendel versucht. Nicht alles schaut so aus, wie's hätte ausschauen sollen :o). Ich war auch etwas zu früh mit nach Draussen stellen.
    Wir hatten in diesem Jahr einen herrlich warmen aber sehr, sehr trockenen Frühling.
    Liebe Grüsse aus der Schweiz
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  9. No kidding about the weeds! Sheesh! Tree seedlings have been horrible, including your bane, buckthorn. Most of what I've been doing for clients lately is weeding. and weeding. and weeding. . . ! I've never seen so many weeds as there have been this spring, even here in our shade garden, which typically is nearly weed-free except for the tree seedlings.

    Your seedlings look great Monica. I don't know what my problem is, but I can't seem to grow basil from seed. I was talking to a friend who told me a heat mat is the trick. Might have to finally invest in one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Monica,

    Basil is one of my favourite herbs, especially with tomato and mozarello....delicious.

    I always grow marigolds....gave them all to my Dad this year. My garden is a little too wild for such sweet flowers. Butterflies seem to enjoy them.

    Nice to see you around blogland once again....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha so funny.....my word verification was beesting......

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think springtime and overwhelmed go hand in hand.

    With the heat we're getting here our lettuce will be bolting any day now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the idea of using dressers for planting things. I never would have thought of something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're not the only one feeling overwhelmed, Monica:) After a week and half of neglecting my garden to attend to family activities, I have so much to do and now it's so blazing hot that I don't want to go outside! I still have some seeds to sow, and if I don't weed the vegetable garden soon, I won't be able to locate the tiny lettuce and spinach.

    Your seedlings look like they've gotten off to a good start; hopefully, this heat will jumpstart them even more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love those dresser drawers as planters.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah...I've been feeling overwhelmed till now. I'm glad to be almost caught up...that is a rare feeling for the serious gardener. I like your planter drawers.

    ReplyDelete